Geoboards are a fun way to incorporate hands-on math practice in the early learning years. Kids not only get to practice their math facts, but also mathematical thinking skills, coordination skills, and creativity with geoboards.
What are Geoboards?
Geoboards are a 3D board with pegs that children can use string or bands to create pictures and complete math tasks. They can help kids learn geometry concepts, too. They are commonly used with the Montessori Method of education.
What Supplies are Needed for Geoboards?
There are also many hands-on geoboard choices on Etsy at affordable prices. I love the handmade wooden boards that are sturdy and last through many years of use!
While you can create your own geoboard activities, I’ve found a simple and affordable solution that can have you using geoboards in minutes with no prep work: Geoboard Activity Pack from The Crafty Classroom.
The Crafty Classroom has engaging, high-quality resources for preschool through middle school and we have used everything they create. I love the clever ideas they share and the simplicity of the projects for me as a homeschool mom. My daughters love using the resources, too. It’s a win-win for everyone.
Geoboards Activity Pack
This Geoboard Activity Pack includes a variety of thematic activities and worksheets for Holidays, Seasons, and FUN delight-directed themes! Children will work on key math and logic skills while building these fun geoboard pictures. Each set not only includes multi-leveled geoboard mats, but also geoboard task cards, and follow-up worksheets as well.
What is included in the Geoboards Packs?
- Fall Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Thanksgiving Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Winter Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Christmas Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Valentine’s Day Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- St. Patrick’s Day Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Spring Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Summer Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Easter Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Earth Day Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- On the Farm Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Ocean Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Independence Day Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Space Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
- Pets Geoboard Task Cards & Activity Mats
What activities are included?
Geoboard Math Mat
This geoboard mat tasks students with creating a picture, then adding more bands to create the second picture.Students answer basic counting and addition problems.
Geoboard Shape Mat
This geoboard mat tasks students with creating the more difficult picture, then coloring the black line example. Students are then asked to identify thedifferent shapes they see.
Create, Color, & Draw Activity Pages
Students are asked to create a picture, color the black-line example, and then to copy the drawing onto the blank grid. These are great for older students who do not need the full geoboard mat.
Geoboard Task Cards
These colorful task cards are great for creating your own math centers. Students chose a card, create the picture and answer the question. Follow-up with one of the worksheets below.
Geoboard of the Day (Easy Follow-Up Worksheet)
This simple version asks students to choose one of their pictures to draw, and answer the questions. Questions cover counting and shapes.
Geoboard of the Day (Hard Follow-Up Worksheet)
This harder version asks students to draw, write, count, tally, graph, compare, and find the shapes. This is great for expanding key math skills.
To introduce students into shapes and concepts such as fractions, area, or symmetry.
Teachers use geoboards to acquaint their students with shapes and fractions.
When you are initiating students with ideas related to geometric shapes and fractions.
Geoboards are good for any age. They are primarily for younger students (age 3 and up). But can be used for older students learning Geometry.
- 15 Picture Books about Gardens and Seeds - March 1, 2024
- 10 Bible Verses to Help You Through a Difficult Time - February 24, 2024
- Four Reasons to Hire a Home Tutor - February 23, 2024